Today is Thanksgiving! I wanted to share 9 things I’m thankful for. I chose 9 things because I am 9 years old.
1. I’m thankful for my family because they care for me and they love me, they cook for me, they take me to really cool places and they hang out with me. My parents want the best for me and they believe in me and encourage me. My parents help me with my schoolwork and my blog. My parents always take me to my swimming lessons and karate classes and cheer me on. They are always there for me to talk to.
2. I’m thankful for school and education because it provides me a place to learn. There are a lot of kids in the world that don’t have a chance to go to school or have a good education. I know that I’m lucky to live in Canada where all kids get to go to school. I’m thankful for my teachers and principals who have been kind and supportive, believing that I can get great marks when I work hard.
3. I’m thankful for discovering the people who inspire me, like Dr. Jane Goodall, Severn Suzuki, Craig and Marc Kielburger, Spencer West and Terry Fox. Each of them have made a big difference in the world, and inspire others to get involved, take action and never give up. I think about Spencer West a lot and his determination to climb Mount Kilminjaro and his message – Redefine Your Possible.
4. I am thankful for the amazing people that I met at camp this summer. Before I went to Sleepover Camp I had never made it through a sleepover at a friends house because I was homesick. I was scared for a few days but all my friends and counsellors encouraged me to not be scared. I loved it so much that I stayed for an extra 10 days and I can’t wait to go back next summer!
5. I am thankful to have learned about Free The Children and that I was invited to go to We Day. Craig and Marc Kielburger started these organizations and events that make caring fun and cool. They encourage young people to learn about the world and take action to help stop things like child labour or hunger. They raise money and awareness and work in places all over the world to bring clean water, education and medicine to children.
6. I am thankful that I never have to worry about not having enough food to eat. I have been learning about Food Banks and how many people rely on them for food. At school we are collecting non-perishable food to donate to a local food bank and I am going to participate in Free The Children’s We Scare Hunger and will be collecting non-perishable food when I go trick-or-treating this Halloween.
7. I am thankful for my dog, Indigo. She is a Shih-Tzu and she is 13 years old so she’s sort of like my big sister. She’s super cute and cuddly, she always kisses my face and I give kisses to her too! I play with her by throwing my toys and she loves it when I scratch behind her ear. I love cuddling with her in bed and taking her for walks. The best part of the day is coming home from school and she is so happy to see me.
8. I am thankful for all the nice comments here on my blog because it makes me feel good that people are reading. I am especially happy to know that in some people have been inspired to be more eco-friendly because of my posts and tips.
9. I am thankful for both of my great-grandmothers. I called my father’s grandmother BooBoo. She was so nice and caring and she loved me so so much. I loved her too. She lived to be 97 and passed away in September. I’ll never meet another person like her and miss her. I am thankful that I went to visit my other great-grandmother this weekend. I haven’t seen her in a long time and I am happy that she was feeling better and up for a visit with me and my parents.
There you have it! 9 things that I am thankful for! Tell me, what are YOU thankful for?